Download a CV in Word doc format here: CV – Shane Raymond – July 2016
Download a CV in PDF format here: CV – Shane Raymond – July 2016
085 840 9859 Shaneraymond321@hotmail.com
Storyful, January 2016 – Present
- Covering news worldwide by discovering user-generated content, verifying the content’s location, date and original source.
- Licensing content or clearing it for our clients to use.
- Running the Facebook newswire and the YouTube newswire – public-facing services which aggregate newsworthy user-generated content for journalists.
- Taking lead roles in setting up the Irish Open Election database and the Storyful podcast.
Tutors in China, February 2015 – August 2015
- English teacher to children aged 8 – 14 in Shanghai public schools.
- Created individualized class plans and PowerPoint presentations for schools with different technology, expectations, teaching styles and administrative structures.
- Won Certificate of Achievement for Lesson of the Month.
Shane English, August 2014 – February 2015
- English teacher to children aged 8 – 12 in multiple Shanghai public schools.
Freelance journalist, May 2012 – August 2014
- News for the Sunday Business Post
- Features for Totally Dublin
- Features for GCN
- Features for this Greedy Pig
- Music and interviews for VenueOne.ie
- Crime for Crime.ie
- Researcher for Channel 7 News (Australia)
Global Institute of Logistics, July 2014 – September 2014
- Hired briefly at GIL as their Chief China Correspondent.
- Prepared press releases, wrote up academic and market research, tracked down and translated biographies and investment material on and for GIL’s Chinese partners.
Lucan Disability Action group, September 2011 – Present
- Academic note-taker for college students with disabilities in DIT and UCD.
- Required a high typing speed and the ability to accurately distill complex information into key points.
- Note-taker’s are responsible for arranging schedules, meeting with students and disabilities officers, and delivering notes and timesheets on time.
Mugg magazine, January 2011 – March 2011
- Helped to set up a magazine called ‘Mugg’, and was the Current Affairs section editor.
- Assigned stories to writers, liaised with the design editors, monitored the progress of work, subedited, and arranged a photoshoot with Simon Harris, TD.
- Mugg won ‘Best Small College Publication’ in the 2012 Smedia awards.
- Employed since the age of 16, with jobs not directly related to journalism. These include:
- Brand sales consultant for Field Marketing Ireland
- Sales assistant with Tambuli,
- Security officer for KN services and Sword Security Galway
- Rickshaw driver
- Guitar teacher
Hanban (国家汉办), 2015
- Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) Level Three (汉语水平考试 三级)
- Equivalent to the B1 level on the Common European Framework of References for Languages.
i-to-i TEFL, 2014
- 150 hour Combined TEFL certificate, Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language/ESL Language Instructor
Dublin Institute of Technology, 2010 – 2011
- M.A. in International Journalism
- Thesis on crowdsourcing and verification on the internet
National University of Ireland, Galway, 2007 -2010
- B.A. in Philosophy – 1.1, Sociology and Politics – 2.1
- Dissertation on the moral foundations of Human Rights
- I helped Amnesty International by volunteering at the International Cafe and in campaigns by signing people up to volunteer, to donate, and encouraging them to sign petitions and take part in letter writing campaigns.
- I set up and ran one field campaign to promote the International Cafe and was tent manager at the Amnesty Bingo tent at electric picnic.